Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Packaging

Recently I decided to sell some stuff on eBay. Now I had bought some time ago a controller for a game called steel battalion.
It consists of two joysticks some pedals and a multifunction controller. Now I enjoyed the game mostly because of this controller, which added an immersion I have not had since the arcades. Now. All well and good. But then I came to sell it.
Now it is a collectors piece and not that many were actually made (I bought it because I knew I could make money on it) however before it could be sold I had to test it and all the parts found and put back in the box.
Now putting things back proved the hard part and for a while I was stumped how they did it, now I knew having taken the bits out they could be put back in but finding the solution did take some time and in the end was quite an enjoying challenge.

But it got me to thinking about packaging and I have to admit it is a pet hate of mine. How often I have purchased something and had to get a blowtorch and explosives to get it out is on the increase. Now I am and adult male with good physical ability
And reasonably intelligent but if I have problems getting this stuff open how about kids and the elderly?

I have a theory. In it I believe the companies of the world are trying to make it so hard to get past the packaging that in the end we will give up and just put it somewhere and in time all the products will just be packaging and because we will not be able to open it we will never know that there is nothing in there.

Perhaps they should start making tanks and banks out of the stuff.

1 comment:

Kim Ayres said...

You're right! I hate having to use a blowtorch to open the packaging on chocolate bars. The mess is horrendous!