Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Online lives

Recently I have taken up World of war craft at the recommendation of a friend. At first I was reluctant, I like to live in this world not another and not in one which is not real, but as I blog- which lets face it is another world, I thought I would give it a go.

I am now hooked.
I have found it to be the most compelling game ever, true it can get repetitive but it draws you in, I no longer go down to a bar for a drink with friends but instead meet those same friends in an online bar (do not fret alcohol is available beside me)
I have found it to be a very good tool for one of my favourite pastimes- people watching. In this game you get to see how people really are. You cannot do terrible things to each other player but how people play together does give you a good rundown on what they are like.

There is one fellow who I know in real life and in the game, now I knew he could be needy and a little too competitive but playing with him showed me a little more of his personality. When you play you have to work together and what did he do?
Think about nothing but himself he took everything he could and would leave us in the lurch to fight the bad guys.
All I can say after witnessing his behaviour I was glad I did not go into business with the man six months ago when he offered.
So it would seem as much as we may think of it as an escape from the world it still very much follows us in. I now wonder if they were to remove the limits on what you can do to other players what would happen. Anarchy and rampaging warlords would no doubt shatter this fantastic idyll.

No comments: